Elder Sabin

Elder Sabin

Monday, July 3, 2017

Week 102: God Bless Canada!

Gosh I love Canada.  The land of maple syrup and free health care truly is a blessed nation.  May God smile upon it's leaf spangled flag and may the winter demons be merciful in the coming years so that missionaries may effectively preach the gospel at all times of the year.

Anyway, life's good.  This week was pretty interesting.  On Monday we played some sports again which was fun.  We did a lot of stuff, but the most memorable was World Cup, during which I represented the non-sovereign nation of Quebec.  I tried my best to live up to my nations reputation by going for the strangest goals that I could.  Admittedly I didn't perform the best according to the scoreboard, but I definitely had the most fun.

Tuesday was great as well.  We went down to Cambridge (aka mini-Portugal) and ate some food with a guy named John.  He served in the Philippines and he's a pretty cool guy.  We had a delicious dinner of waffles and mangoes, which is what I hope they serve in the Celestial kingdom's cafeteria.  It's a good combination.

Also, we tried to go to the Kitchener Second ward council, but got sent to the wrong address not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES!  In the end, we ran out of time and didn't even show up.  It was interesting for sure :)

On Wednesday, we had exchanges with the Brantford Elders, and so I was with Elder Pollard.  Elder Pollard is from Southern Alberta, and he's a convert of about 2 years.  Man, he's a sweet missionary.  Also, we were on bikes because we had to put our car in the shop for about 3 days (not our fault, it was the past missionaries!)  and that was actually great. Like, super fun.  I would love to just be on bikes all the time.

Also, on Wednesday, we continued planning for a huge Hindu event that's coming up.  There's going to be a ton of organizations there and a whole ton of people.  They're using the chapel's lawn to do it, and so they're giving us a tent to have throughout the day, as well as a 15 minute presentation to have in front of the several hundred people that will be there.  It's going to really cool I think.  I won't explain the whole thing, but basically all the missionaries in our zone from different countries are going to speak about their backgrounds and how the church has helped them.  We'll also sing "I am a Child of God" with a bunch of primary kids to enhance our cuteness factor.  It'll be fun.

Also, this week I ran into quite a few people that speak French.  There's a new member in the YSA that speaks it, as well as the second counselor in the Kitchener 2nd ward.  Man, that was fun :)

We had dinner with Sister Kang this week. She's a very sweet lady.  She was baptized in Calgary, and then she moved here.  She and her husband made us some delicious Chinese food, which was much appreciated.  Also, they're both tiny.  Like... miniscule.  I felt pretty weird at first considering I was like twice as tall as everyone else :)

We had dinner as well with a family named the Moraes.  They're both from Brazil, and they're a very sweet family.  The dad served a mission in Brazil as well, and he spent a lot of time showing us all the sketchy places he went to.

Then on Friday we had zone conference which was good except for one thing - I had to share my dying testimony!  Ahhhh!!!! It was so sad.  I never thought that day would come!  They make all the dying missionaries share a last testimony.  It was sad.

Other than that though it was super good. Elder Kohl and I instructed about how to listen and how to ask questions, and I think it went well.  We talked a lot about the stuff I had mentioned in my last district meeting, so there wasn't too much to prepare, but it was cool to mix it with Elder Kohl's ideas.  He's dying with me, and he's a cool elder.

The AP's Elder Taylor and Elder Shu recruited me as well to play the part of an angel in their instruction, which was super fun. They played some "Alma the younger"-esque characters, and I was to be the angel that rebuked them.  Considering it was in the chapel, it might have been a bit irreverent, but still so much fun.  We did it right after lunch to wake everyone back up, and I think it was successful.

Also, I got to see the other Elder Taylor (the one I'm rooming with) and that was cool.  All in all, it was a good zone conference.

Then that night we were planning something super exciting like contacting, but we decided to go stop by the soccer activity and ran into Mei and Ailsa, two of our Chinese ESL students!  Someone had invited them to come over and play, which was super fun.  The guys who were playing were a bit too extreme for them, but we walked over to the side and started our own Asian soccer match which was fun.  Mei is like 50 but probably more committed to physical fitness than any 50 year old I've ever met, and then she has a 20 year old daughter named Ailsa who is like the least athletic person out there.  It was a funny match, and we invited them to come to the carnival the next day which they did.

Saturday, we spent the morning helping to make the Stake Carnival a success which was so much fun.  Basically it was just lots of little kids running around playing games run by the missionaries.  The most popular was definitely our makeshift dunk tank (don't worry, we didn't go swimming.)

It was basically a big bucket of water that hung above someone's head until someone hits a target with a beanbag.  It should have been called "soak the elders" because that's all it was all day.  It's a good thing we brought a change of clothes.

After biking back, the rest of the day was pretty uneventful.

Then on Sunday, I spoke in sacrament about freedom, choices, and using our agency wisely.  I thought it was pretty good, and the other speaker was a just-returned missionary.  It was cool.  She did a great job.

Then after church we went to the Ince's home for the return missionaries homecoming party, which was cool.  I saw the Elliot's from Niagara YSA, which was fun.  It had been a while since I had run into them.

Anyway, it was a good week :)

Dad- Man, you should write a parenting book.  You could call it "Breaking Your Child Like You Break a Horse".  I think it would be a bestseller, especially among Asian tiger moms.

Hayden - I think the way you've signed your letters has become progressively less and less like English :) Lit savage dope AJ boy?

Ashleigh - Actually, I retook the ACT on my mission and got a 37, so good luck beating that!

Anyway, I'm out of time, but I love you!!!!!!!!

Elder Sabin