Elder Sabin

Elder Sabin

Monday, April 24, 2017

Week 92:Transfer News; No Sweat

Hey family!

Transfer news came in this week, but Elder Hunter and I weren't stressed at all, because there was literally no chance we were moving :) So it was one of the more relaxed transfer nights that I've had. It was nice.

So I'll be staying here for another 6 weeks.  We'll be getting a trainee as well at the 4 week mark, and you know what that means..

I'll have a son!  It's going to be good.  However, the next transfer call is going to be a bit stressful. It could just be that we all stay up north in a threesome for my last six weeks, but the most likely option is that one of us moves.  Either me (to go back to Chinese work) or Elder Hunter (as he's going to be here most of his mission, and might appreciate a break while we have an excess of French missionaries.)

The suspense!  We'll see.

This week was great.  Gwenda, the only YSA in our branch, has really gotten into the missionary work this week, and she's been coming with us pretty much every day to teach and work.  It's been fun.

We actually had a lot of good stuff happen this week. We were able to find quite a few people, and many of the people we're working with made some good progress.  We've honestly been so blessed in this area.  I think we've done close to no tracting since my second transfer here, and we've been getting loads of referrals.

Also, we had exchanges this last week with Elder Kohl and Elder Deweese, which was great.  This time I stayed in Val d'Or, and Elder Kohl came and joined me.  We had a good day together.  I took him to Au Petit Cornet which is this little ice cream shack close to our place, and we got some pretty good ice cream.  We visited almost all of our investigators who speak English (as he doesn't speak French) and had a really productive day.  We set some good goals with Yvette and Jacob which was great.  On a side note, they came to church yesterday, and she bore a really sweet testimony in Gospel Principles.

We went on a pretty cool hike on Monday with the branch as well, which was entertaining.  The snow wasn't quite all melted, so the trail was a bit hazardous for some of the more aged members of the company, but we all made it through.  It was really beautiful.  I'll send some pictures of it.

Some of the members of the branch have taken advantage of the fact that Elder Sabin is an old missionary, and several have started making trunky jokes (mostly Gwenda and Elder Hunter, but it appears to be spreading to the other members like the plague).  Well, we decided to take advantage of this deadline, and issue a challenge.  We've invited a lot of the people we're working with to finish the Book of Mormon by the time Elder Sabin goes home, and we're all reading it together.  We're doing 3 chapters a day, and we're on track to finish by July 3rd.  We've been going for about 10 days already, so if you want to join you'll have to catch up a bit, but I still want to invite you guys to read it, and just so you know, we're all saving Moroni 10 for July 4th so that we can all read it together.  Then we're going to throw a giant pancake and ice cream party for everyone who finished it.  Unfortunately, if I sent pancakes and ice cream home, the pancakes will get cold and the ice cream will melt, but you'll still welcome to "feast upon the words of Christ" and get the spiritual (and more important) blessings.  So who will take the challenge!?

Also, this week we got a text from a member named Nadia with just an address and a note that said "come quickly".  We were kind of curious and we weren't doing anything urgent, so we went over and some random guy answered the door.  Turns out, his name is Luc and he's Nadia's new boyfriend and he's really interested.  It was a pretty odd way to get a referral, but hey, we'll take it.

Also, the ice cream shack I mentioned above (Au Petit Cornet) has become a favorite of the missionaries.  It's funny because the French on the menu just embodies Quebec's French.  It's a weird mixture of English and French.  Our favorite thing to get is called "brownies" so just imagine someone saying "voudrez vous les arachides sur le brownies?" but brownies is said in a really American accent. It's fun. I like Quebec.

We had a guy visit the branch this week.  He was just here on business from Arizona, but it was cool because he was an RM from Taiwan. And he spoke Mandarin!  So that was cool.  It messed with my brain switching from French with the members and Mandarin with him. It was so fun though.

Haha, doing tithing this week was funny. Both the first counselor and I are pretty new at this, and we were trying to get all the files organized and put together, but he's not very technologically inclined and we had to do some work on a program that didn't have any French translation, so I had to translate for him as he used it, and it just took a long time.  It was hard, but it built my faith in my French.  Blessings from the lord :)

Also, I got a lovely letter from the primary this week, which was amazing :) It had a lot of letters from the kids in the primary, but my favorite was Ellie's.  I don't remember it word for word but it said something like "Hey bro, how's the mission?  I love you.  If I write anything more I won't have anything to write on Sunday."  It made me laugh :) Seriously though, I really appreciated it.

Ashleigh, we thoroughly enjoyed the questions you sent us.  It was much appreciated :) Congrats on the Secret Garden :)

Ellie, I have still have zero idea what your play is about, but I'm sure it's awesome.

Hadley, my favorite part of your email was that fact that there's no punctuation except for exclamation points.  It really communicates how much candy you ate :) Miss you too.

Hayden, je sais pas non plus. I have no idea what tubular means. I would guess that it denotes something in the shape of a tube.  Congrats on the test though, and it sounds like the campout was fun :)

Mom - Ya, it's fun being in the branch presidency.  Really weird though.  It's just odd being involved in the basic stuff like sacrament scheduling and planning callings for members.  I've never had to worry about it in my other areas :) Yes, I still play the piano, but Elder Hunter and Sister Allred play as well, so we rotate around.

Dad - Haha, I've been happy about the weather as well.  We've been able to go running, which has been a nice change.  I love the scriptures you shared as well.  "Be still and know that I am God." That's been a good one for me on my mission.

It's been a good week my friends.  The work goes on, and it will continue to do so until the whole world hears about this crazy group of people called Mormons that don't drink coffee.

There's a scripture I'd like to share before I end the email this week. It's in Alma 36, verse 22.  This is Alma speaking to his son Helaman and to the church, and this is the feeling that he gets after he feels the power of the Atonement.  It says "I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there."

It's that last line that I love.  My soul did long to be there.  The reason I share this is because we've been talking a lot about sacrifice lately in church, and every lesson what it seems to come back to is the principle of "where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

The modern world is a tricky place.  One that promises "treasures" of all kind, and to some extent every single one of us is wrapped up in them. I just want to leave an invitation for everyone to reflect on what that means for you.  Like Alma, does your soul "long to be there" with our Father in heaven?

I ask just because I promise you that that's where the lasting happiness is found.  Our father in heaven doesn't often require every earthly possession of ours in order to attain that goal, but he does ask us to be willing.  To do anything.  To live the law of consecration, which is a law that I think very few people understand.

So think about it.

Love you guys :)

Elder Sabin