Elder Sabin

Elder Sabin

Monday, March 6, 2017

Week 85: Busy and Good :)

Hello everyone :) This last week has been wonderful.  I apologize for the short email last week.  It's pretty rare that the Sudbury zone of the mission gets to come together for P-day.  We were trying to make sure we made the most of the opportunity.  I hope that the week has been as good for you as it has been for me.  Elder Hunter and I were extremely blessed in our efforts this last week and we were able to find many people in need of the gospel.

I think that both of our testimonies were strengthened this week.  I really felt the hand of the Lord blessing us in many ways, but the gift of tongues was extremely apparent this week.  I apologize because I know this has been a theme of several of my emails, but it truly has been an incredible experience.  This week, the only Melchizedek Priesthood holders present were Elder Hunter and I, so I conducted Sacrament meeting for the 12 or so branch members that were there.  We also played the hymns, passed the sacrament, taught gospel principles, and bore our testimonies during the fast and testimony meeting :) It was a cool experience.  I've never been that involved in church before.

Life has been going well up here.  One of our investegators, Vanessa is getting ready to have a baby, which is really exciting :) We made some pretty kick-butt brownies last night and brought them to her.  She's doing really well it seems.  It was good to see her.

We also had the chance to go help the Ricard family with some renovations in their basement.  We went and painted a few walls with them, and it was really cool.  They have a wonderful family.  Their youngest daughter is pretty much a french version of Hadley.  Just super bubbly with bouncy hair.  I'm sure I drove them crazy with all of my French questions, but they handled them like a champ.

This week we also found the underground Nigerian soccer league of Val d'Or.  Up to this point I thought the only people who lived in this town were either white or native, but we helped one of our neighbors move, and he's from Cameroon.  He invited us to go play soccer with him and his buddies one night, and so we went.  It was actually really fun :) I've never been amazing at soccer, but I think we held our own, and it was cool to meet some new people.  Everyone was wondering why some British guy and some American had decided to move to Val d'Or in the middle of winter, which is a perfectly valid question.  Another plus of meeting Africans - Their French is way easier to understand :)

We also got the chance to stop by the Capississit family (The name is native american) and they're doing well.  We think Treasure's been going through a hard time.  We didn't ask for details, but she was pretty emotional for the lesson and I think she really appreciated us coming by.  Benjamin's doing good as well, although he wasn't able to make it out to church this week.  We'll get him next time.

Lise is still Lise :) She's as funny as ever.  It snowed a lot last week, and then it got warm and rained, and then it got cold and the rain froze, so all of the snow turned really hard, and she needed some help breaking up the ice in a few spots of her yard.  Well, luckily I have the manliest companion ever, and we went at it with all sorts of tools. She gave us some chocolate because she's the best.  We had a long discussion with her about God in the Old Testament and why He's so much more fiery than in the New Testament.  I feel like we weren't able to answer it sufficiently, so I'd love any scriptures or thoughts that you guys have.

The Otter family is good as well.  We stopped by and met with Seth and Kitana, which was fun.  Also, they left their Book of Mormons in some storage place, and so we dropped off two new ones.  They're out of town this week, but we'll see them again next week probably.

Also, Phillipe finally texted back!  I had heard a bunch of cool stuff about this guy who was ready to be baptized but was just waiting until he was 18 so he didn't need his parents permission or something like that.  Well, we hadn't gotten in touch with him, and then yesterday he texted us saying his phone was broken and he hadn't been able to contact anyone.  He's still doing good and we'll meet him later this week.

Valida is still good.  We weren't able to visit her this week,

Dad - Tell Brother Murphy I sustain him.  He's such a good guy :) I'm really excited for that. How is the ward?  Haha, it made me laugh when you mentioned getting in shape.  I was trying really hard when I was in Brampton, because we had a ton of workout equipment and space, but here it's been harder.  Our apartment is pretty small and it's super cold outside :( Once it warms up and I can go running it will be easier. Eh, I just need to man up.  Haha, Elder Hunter is doing great.  On our drive to Sudbury during the weekend we listened to a BYU talk by Mitt Romney where he talks about how great America is.  By the end of it we had him shouting "Merica!" with the rest of us.

Hadley - I met the French version of you this week :) Her name is Emma.  You're having hamburgers with the Reichs!  That sounds so fun!  Quebec is good.  All of my companions are my favorite.

Hayden - Sounds like fun :) How is the Madsen family?  Their mom emailed me a while back about being in French work, and it was fun to hear from them.  How is the quorum back home?  Have you had any cool lessons in church lately?

Ellie - You're sending letters to her?  Doesn't she just live down the street? They all did insane stuff? What kind of stuff did they do?  That sounds really fun.

Mom - Wow, that's amazing news about Grandma! :) I've emailed her recently, but she hasn't responded to the last one yet.  That's incredible!  I'm so happy to hear she's doing well.  Is the whole family going down or just you? I'm like, super excited to hear that.  Let me know how it goes :)

Ashleigh - Wow.  Sounds like you had an interesting trip.  Just to let you know, I will never be jealous of a fanny pack.  I don't care what's written on it.  Fanny packs will never be cool :)  Haha, kidding.  Cool to hear that you had a good time.

Anyway, there's some of the highlights from my week.  Next week I'll try and talk a little more about the people we're working with.  There are a few more of them, but I'm out of time.  I love you guys!

Elder Sabin

Celebrating National Pancake Day!