Elder Sabin

Elder Sabin

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Week74: Christmas Miracles

This week was super good.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but last MLC Elder Carroll and I stood in front of a lot of the zone leaders and made a promise that we were going to help raise our area.  We were going to teach more and baptize more.

In the past, this area has always been interesting because we don't have a lot of time.  The ward is incredible - seriously, it's just chuck full of return missionaries - and we have a ton of support.  In the past it's just been an issue of balancing the assignment with the area.

Well, this week was transfers, and so Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were all shot.  We had to manage transfers, we had to help the new missionaries with all their stuff and we had to get all the old missionaries stuff taken care of as well.  Obviously that's super important and needs to get done, but we've really been trying to make the area amazing.  It's always been good, but I've just known that it can be better.

Well, anyway, we tried to be really creative this week.  We've been putting up posters for our church services. We're trying to set up a bunch of activities.  We've shoveled some people's snow.  Basically we've just been trying to be as productive as we can be.  I'm exhausted, but we've seen some cool miracles.

I'll share one of them.  Yesterday, we had planned to go out contacting and put up posters for our church service for an hour or so.  Well, it was freezing.  I was in the car, and I could just tell it was cold outside.  You know when you can tell something is cold just by looking at it?  You look out the window and you just say "Wow, it's cold outside".  I don't know where that comes from.  It makes no sense to say that when you haven't been outside, but for some reason we still do it.  Anyway, we got out of the car, and got to work.

The first person we talk to is interested.  We walk with him for a mile back to his house and set up an appointment for later that day with him at 4 o'clock.

Then, we go to a shopping mall in the area.  We talk to some awesome people.  Put up some posters.  Have fun.  Then, one of our members texts us and asks if we have anything going on that day.  Well, we have an appointment later that day at 4 o'clock :)

So we go pick him up, and while we're waiting at his house, I felt like I should get out of the car and go talk to this lady that's walking down the street.  As I start talking with her, Jeremy (the member) comes out and joins us and we have an awesome gospel conversation.  Set an appointment with her as well :)

So then we go back.  We teach the first guy (Javane) and have an awesome lesson!  We taught plan of salvation and set him with a baptismal date.  He's super cool :)

Anyway, it was a really good day of a lot of miracles.

The rest of the week was awesome as well, but those stood out to me.

Anyway, it finally snowed a bunch this week.  Lots of cool stuff happened. It's really funny when it snows here because a large portion of Brampton's population is Punjabi, and they just don't know how to deal with all this snow.  I'm half expecting to see people outside with turbans on yelling something to the effect of "The gods are displeased!  They have released the heavenly dandruff! What do we do?"

Just kidding. They're not going to do that.  It's just funny when they drive in the snow.  The foreigners here are all new to this whole "no traction" thing.  I'm not kidding either when I say that there are a ton of Sikh and Punjabi people here.  They all have the same outfit as well.  Turban.  Beard.  Robe. A while back someone was distributing some Missing Person advertisements all over the place.  The only thing on there to help us was a fuzzy picture of a Sikh man with a turban, a large beard, and a robe.  There was a question at the top that said "Have you seen this man?" and I thought to myself "Yes! I've seen him 9 times today! There he is! No, wait.  There he is!  No wait..."

I bet the cops got a lot of calls that day.

Hayden - Yeess!! Doing missionary work!  That's super cool man.  Keep spreading the Christmas fire! There are a lot of people out there that need the gospel and you can bring it to them :) Also, I'm glad ski season has gotten rolling.  Keep it up man!

Ellie - I like how the three emoticons you signed with were a volleyball, a paint kit, and a basketball hoop. Since when did you start playing basketball? Also, are the Royal Blueberries having a reunion this next year?  With a name like that you guys can do anything :)

Hadley - Yes, I did get the package, and no I haven't opened it yet :) Sounds like you're going to have an awesome birthday!  Also, you know why 8 is important, right?  Something else important is going to happen. It starts with a B and rhymes with maptism.  Did you guess it?  Haha, have a good week!

Mom - Sounds like it was a busy week :)  How are the youth doing back home?  Sounds like Christmas caroling was a lot of fun.  We're planning on doing something like that this Christmas. We can't really do much else :) I mean, it's not like we can go tracting. Anyway, Merry Christmas!

Ashleigh - Okay, you have the advantage of Google right now, so I may be wrong, but I don't think Alexander Hamilton endorsed Thomas Jefferson.  He was a Federalist and Jefferson was a Republican.  Hamilton was one of the most avid supporters of the Federal government while Jefferson usually supported the individual rights of the states.  In other news, I'm glad to hear that you have gotten no saner since I left ;) Also, tell Spencer that his brother is an awesome missionary.  I'm assuming his brother is Elder Kimball?  Ya, he's pretty awesome.  Anyway, I hope you have a good week.

Dad - I'm glad to hear that you and Hadley are still friends.  That would be kind of awkward if you weren't.  As far as Christmas concerts, they sometimes have stuff for the missionaries to be involved in but our ward hasn't had anything like that.  Elder Carroll and I are going to be speaking in the Mandarin unit down in Mississauga though, and so that will be really fun.

Anyway, I hope you all have an awesome week.  I love you!

Elder Sabin