Elder Sabin

Elder Sabin

Monday, September 12, 2016

Week 60: Glory, Glory Hallelujah!

Man, I feel like I just emailed home yesterday.  Seriously, this week flew by!  I'm gonna have to keep my email pretty short today, sorry.  The Ossington zone (downtown Toronto missionaries) challenged our zone (upper Toronto missionaries) to a day of sports, so we have to go smash their faces in... I mean... have a rousing match of something safe.... like badminton.

Anyway, the week was wonderful.  Lately the members have been bringing tons of friends to church, which has made things really easy for us.  Honestly, we could probably just sit in our apartment all day and people would still think we were half decent missionaries.

Everyone is doing great, but I probably don't have time to tell you all everything.  I will say that David is still doing awesome.  He'll have his baptismal interview this weekend if all goes well.  We're super excited for him.

One of the missionaries in our zone got hit by a car this week.  He's totally fine, and so the only reason I bring this up is because we got to stay up late.  It felt super weird.  As a missionary, you always go to bed at 10:30, but since we had to get him checked out and take him home due to their lack of a car, we ended up finally falling asleep at around 2:00.  So that was fun.

This all would have been totally fine, but we also had a giant meeting the next day with a visiting member of the quorum of the 70, Elder Arnold, and we had to get up early to help set up.  I was super worried that I'd be falling asleep in the meeting, but it actually all turned out okay. Either fear of being chastised by one of the Lords anointed or the Spirit kept me up.  I'm going with the Spirit.

Anyway, it was a super good meeting.  I took tons of notes, and there's no way I'm going to write them all, but I felt that one of the main points that I took away was the importance of leading from the front.  He shared a story about a stake president who sat down with all the leaders from the stake and handed out a small test.  He told them not to put their name on it and to fill it out.  On the test were a few basic questions like "Do you go to the temple every month?", "Do you do your home teaching?", "Do you have family home evening every week?" and "Do you attend all three hours of church".  Well, the tests were all handed back in and the results weren't that great.  The Stake President then said "No one in this stake will teach at all until everyone here is doing all of these things.  When do you want me to give you the test again?"

They asked to have it again in a month, and so a month later they took the same test and the results were through the roof.  What's more, the stake missionary work caught on fire!  People were getting baptized like crazy.  Home teaching was at 90 to 95 percent for the entire time that Elder Arnold was in that stake.

I loved that story.  Really I did, and I think it really hit home with a lot of the elders and sisters.  I don't know who's going to read this, and I certainly won't know what your calling is, but I do promise you that if you don't do the little things, neither will those who follow you.  Elder Arnold also said something along the lines of "When you're a parent, if you ever tell your kids to go to bed so that you can watch something that's less than appropriate for a priesthood holding man, you can bet that your kids will be watching that movie when you're out of town.  You cannot do something that you do not want your kids to be doing."

Anyways, I hope everyone back home benefits from that.  The gospel's true.  Jesus loves you all so much, and if we want the chance to be successful leaders in His work, then we have to do what He wants us to do, because He truly is the greatest leader this world has ever had.

Elder Sabin