Elder Sabin

Elder Sabin

Monday, July 18, 2016

Week 52: Pokemon Go

This is actually hilarious, because I came to the library today planning to start my email by talking about Pokemon Go, but I've seen that tons of other missionaries have already said a ton about it.  Haha, it's a worldwide epidemic :)  Elder Stowell and I started noticing a strange phenomenon this week where people will start wandering around at random places with their phones right in front of them.  For a while, we didn't ask about it, but it started getting more common, and at this point I'm not even surprised when someone wanders into the church grounds looking for their next catch.  Interesting stuff.

We can't decide if this is a good or a bad thing.  On the bad side, it means that we have to deal with a lot of "zombies" that don't really want to talk to us because they're too busy battling Pokemon.  On the good side, it gets people outside that maybe wouldn't normally be outside?  Also, people don't cross the street when they see the missionaries, because they're too busy looking at their phone.  I don't know.  I guess the Lord can even use Pokemon to help his work roll forward.

Mom - It's totally fine, don't worry.  I got the two packages from you guys in the last two weeks, so I'm definitely still feeling the love.   Yes, there are quite a few new Chinese missionaries in the mission.  Elder Stowell and I are sitting at about the middle of the pack right now.
Chinese missionaries in the Toronto mission according to mission age:
Elder Blanscett
Elder Holt and Elder Scott
Elder Mak
Elder Carroll
Elder Stowell and I
Elder Hudak
Sister Skinner
Sister Deng
Sister Chen
Elder Kong
Elder Martin
Elder Leung
Elder Chi
There's a few other Hong Kong missionaries that are in English work but could potentially do Mandarin work that I'm not counting.  Haha, Ya, Elder Lemon seems like he's doing fine.  I talked to him at MLC right after it happened, and he was making jokes about it, so I'm sure he'll be okay.  Elder Stowell and I are back in the super tall apartment on Yonge Street.

Ashleigh - Lets be honest.  Volleyball is just a really intense version of don't let the balloon touch the ground :)  Kidding, I love volleyball.  I'm not very good, but I'm tall, so I just stand on the front row and spike it usually.  That's about it.

Dad - Things are going great out here :) I'm loving the work, and I love the quote that you shared.  It's definitely true what you say.  There are people who jump off the ship, even though they know that the one guiding it is Christ.  Though we may not understand why the ship turns the way it does, we can trust that He does. I do not know where the world will go.  I do not know if the church's growth will speed up or slow down in the last days.  I do not know if all the people who have left will come back, though I pray that they will every day.  Recently I was studying in 3 Nephi 6, where it says that "the church was broken up in all the land save it were among a few of the Lamanites, who were converted unto the true faith; and they would not depart from it, for they were firm, and steadfast, and immovable, willing with all diligence to keep the commandments of the Lord." I don't know if the second coming of Christ will be preceded by a similar situation, but I hope that we will be among those converted to the true faith.  We all need to be led by the light of Christ, because relying on others testimonies won't always hold true.

As a super quick update on the work here, we've been meeting with...
Vivian - super cool, taught her before when I was with Elder Carroll, likes church
Patrick and Henry - part member family, comes to church every week
Jimmy-loves Christian rock
Richard - English student, could get baptized right now but his parents are opposed
Norman - York University student, smart, likes church a lot
Martin - Lives next door to the chapel, comes to sports night, really cool
Joshua - in the states on vacation right now, but coming back soon. I taught him before with Elder Carroll as well
Xiang Dan - Cousin of a member, really cool, met her a few times
Huan En Ci - Literally the most prepared guy you've ever met.  Started believe in Christianity a  few months ago in China, moved here last month, super fun.

Anyway, I need to keep my email pretty short today.  We're going somewhere for P-day today, so I don't have a ton of time. The week has been going great. I'll describe it with emoticons as best I can.😁😂😄😎😋😇😇😇😇😇😇.  That's pretty much been it.  Oh, I forgot, here's one for Elder Stowell 🐼

Love you all!

Elder Sabin