Elder Sabin

Elder Sabin

Monday, June 6, 2016

Week 46: Cooking in the Kitchen(er)

As you can tell by my subject title, we are cooking up a ton of stuff in this town.  My successive emails will probably include similar puns about the wonderful town of Kitchener.

I guess you could say that this week, the spirit of God like a fire was burning.  It was pretty hot.  Luckily, there were many miracles to keep us going forward!

First sweet guy we met this week.  His name is Jeega (pronounced like it looks) and he sat in on an English lesson with us and another investigator.  He was really fascinated by why these missionaries were being so charitable and helping someone learn English, which was cool, but then we got to talking about gospel stuff. After we finished up with the other investigator, we started talking with Jeega, and he was just super stoked about learning about Christianity and why Christians are such nice people.  Just a testimony to me that Christ can change lives and make us better people.

Anyway, we taught him about the restoration of the gospel, and he was super excited to come to church. Long story short, he came to church and he loved it!!!  He came on a really good day as well, because alot of the YSA had just gone to the Kirtland temple for a conference, and it was testimony meeting, so everyone was talking about their experience.  It was really a beautiful meeting.

Another guy that came to church was named Owen. Man, Owen is just a really cool guy.  He's really fascinated by the idea of repentance, and every couple minutes he would ask us a question related to overcoming past mistakes that he's made.  I mentioned him last week I think, but this week was just incredible.  He came to church in a Porsche, which is pretty cool because he's about 20, and he gave us his business card.  Turns out, he is the CEO of some real estate company, which is sweet. He wants to donate money to the church, and so we told him about tithing, and he's really excited about that.  Also, he loved sharing his opinions in Gospel Principles.  It was just a really good Sunday.

Also, we met with Nan again this week, and he accepted a baptismal date for the 2nd of July, which we're super excited about.  He keeps asking us for good chapters in the Book of Mormon that he can read, and he just eats them up.  Truly "feasting upon the words of Christ".  We had a really cool couple of lessons last week, and we're meeting him again tonight.

Also, we stopped by to see a sweet guy named Sid who is a member, but hasn't been to church in a while.  He just got back from China, and there's a lot of opposition in his life from friends and family, but his testimony is so strong!!!  We had a super spiritual lesson where we all just testified of the atonement, and I came away from it feeling so good.  He's a really cool guy.

Hadley - Haha, sounds like his birthday was a lot of fun.  Ya, it's been pretty hot here lately.  I don't think I've eaten anything super gross, but I think maybe you would think it's gross. Chinese food is interesting sometimes.  Mostly we eat at home though.  We've actually been making some really good food. 

Hayden - Man, your email made me want to cry!  That's so sweet!  I'm sure that was the Spirit telling you to get up there and share your testimony.  I've learned that if someone is willing to share their testimony regularly, it will only get stronger and stronger.  The most important thing on my mission has probably been diligence and charity.  If you are diligent and you work hard, you'll be happy to do anything, and if you have charity for the people outside, nothing will be able to stop you from doing your work.  I love you bud!  Happy birthday!

Mom - What's Sam's missionary email?  And what's Braeden's going to be?  I forgot to bring my camera to the library today (but I swear i'm taking pictures :) ) but I promise I'll let you know next week.  Also, my next pictures are going to be SWEET because a few kinds of hats just got approved for missionaries.  People are going to think we're Mennonites, but we don't care.  We're going to look great!

Ashleigh - Man, you saw the missionaries?  I feel like I never saw them.  Probably because they cover like 10 wards each.  Oh Utah.  That's super cool though.  My mission's going pretty good I guess ;)  Just preaching and teaching.  Cool thing that happened this week.  I finally finished reading the Book of Mormon in Chinese characters, which was pretty fun.

To conclude, I just want everyone to know that God is there for each and every one of us, and that we have a duty to bring the gospel to the people around us.  Although this is not a church of coercion or or manipulation, it is a church of invitation.  There is no way to guarantee that people will accept the invitation to accept the gospel, for even God will not do that, but we have the chance every day to decide whether or not we will open our mouths that day.

Here are some scriptures I've been reading lately.

Let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power, and then may we stand still with utmost assurance to see the salvation of god. - D&C 123:17

I follow after (Jesus) that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus - Phillipians 3:12

Be ready always to give a reason of the hope that is in you - 1 Peter 3:15

I know that many times we have been promised that "If we open our mouths they will be filled" but I do not believe that we take this promise seriously enough.  Jesus Christ has died for us.  He has figuratively lifted us out of a "hole" of our own making.  He has saved us, but now we look around and we just see other "holes" with people in them trying to get out.  We are the only ones that can do this.  No one else can, and I love that with Christ's help, we can do this.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen

Elder Sabin

夏長老