Elder Sabin

Elder Sabin

Monday, April 18, 2016

Week 39: 胡長老是一個非常好的傳教士

Man, it has been a good week.

In major news, I have a new companion!  His name is Elder Hudak, and he's from Red Deer, Alberta.  His testimony is estimated to be about the size of two Elder Sabin testimonies, and he's ready to baptize the world.  He's a slightly younger missionary than me, but not by much.  Our time in the MTC overlapped, so I knew him back then, and now we get to serve together!  How cool is that!?

Anyway, we've been teaching the crap out of Hamilton China, and it's just been wonderful.  Two big names are Charlie and Jack, both of whom are really excited to learn about how Jesus can bless their lives.  Jack kind of has a funny story, because I've met him several times on the streets of Hamilton, but he didn't have interest the first few times.  We talked though, and pretty soon I just started saying hi to him every time I saw him.  Anyway, we talked last week, and he decided he'd like to learn a little bit.  So now we're teaching him!

Charlie is a super prepared guy.  We also met him on the street while contacting, and he was just super excited to give us his phone number and schedule a meeting.  He's a boss.

Recently one of the bishops in our ward gave us a referral for a guy named Jim Zao who had just recently moved into the ward boundaries.  He's from Mississauga (a nearby city) but he's been in China for a long time, and he hasn't been in contact with the church for a long time.  I don't know how the bishop found out, but he gave us an address.  Elder Lau and I had stopped by a few times, but he hadn't been home, and Elder Hudak and I were in the area so we thought we'd give it another try.  Well, he was home, and he was super excited to see us.  He really wants to start coming to church again, and his family is really cool.

Also, turns out the missionaries in St. Catherines started teaching a Chinese family, so they're going to pass them off to us.  To be honest, I'm a little weirded out.  I don't even know how to teach a family.  All I've ever taught is college students.  What do I do?!

Kidding.  I'll be fine.  Hamilton has been as crazy as ever.  There are a bunch of other crazy Christians like us that like to proselyte, but they only come out when the weather is warm.  It's been good weather lately, so we've been running into a ton of those.  To their credit, they're usually courteous and respectful to us, and they respect the work we're doing, but there's a few crazy ones.  I don't know if everyone back home knows that missionaries do this, but we usually just try and make it funny when people try and bash with us.  Some missionaries like to bash, but I just find that it drives the spirit out, and I usually end up angry.

So the other day I was talking to a guy and he was trying to hate on Joseph Smith, and I remembered this idea another elder has told me (shout out to Elder Butler)  This was our conversation.

Guy - You guys are a cult!  Who do you think you are, changing all those doctrines and such!  And what's that guys name?  That guy....ooh, what's his name?  Smith!  Ya, that's it!

Me - Will Smith?

Guy - Yaa! Will Smith! That guy's an idiot!  Your church worships a false prophet!

Me - What are you talking about?

Guy - Will Smith!  You worship him, don't you?

Me - Why would we worship him?

Guy - Will Smi- oh not him!  What is it?  What's his name?

Me (pretending like I finally get it ) Ooooh!  You must mean Joseph Smith!

Guy - Ya, that one!

It was really funny.

In Joe-related news- man, if Joe was a good investegator, he makes an even better member.  He just understands everything! We read the end of D&C 121 together, and he has all these awesome insights.  I love that guy.

Mom - Well, basically take the charity of 3 average people, and stuff them into one person, and you have Elder Hudak.  He's dope.  He plays piano like a boss too.  About the new president, ya, I've heard some pretty awesome stuff about him.  I've met a few people that knew him in the past, so I'm looking forward to him.  Just do me a favor, and call him and tell him what a great missionary I am ;)  kidding.  As far as Evonne goes, we're not really working with her, but we still text back and forth every once in a while.  She still likes us I guess :)  Wow, Sam and Katie!? That's awesome!  They're both going to be amazing missionaries.

Ellie - Ya, I did swim team for a little bit, but it was a long time ago.  It was really fun, but it was a lot of work.  It's getting pretty warm here, and of course I miss elder Lau :)  He's a really cool guy, but it sounds like he's having a lot of fun in Hong Kong.  Joe is doing super well.  He's basically the best convert since Paul of the New Testament.

Hadley - Sam will definitely be eaten by an alligator.  Don't tell him I said that though :)  As far as oreos go, I don't think I care if they're double stuffed or not.  They're all good.  When does Sam go into the MTC?

Ashleigh -  Man, I'm going to be a big fat 19 year old.  That's weird to think about :) Chandler Roetker got married?  What's the pioneer invitational?  Yes, I did hear the news about my new president.  If you guys get in contact with him, you have to promise not to tell him about all my stupid teenager endeavors ;)

Hayden - Sounds like you're having a ton of fun with lacrosse.  Man, there's an elder in my district named Elder Crye who's from Lehi and played lacrosse.  He's just old enough that we didn't overlap, but it's been pretty cool to finally have someone to talk to about it. Small world, eh?

Anyway, I love you all.  You guys rock.

Elder Sabin