Elder Sabin

Elder Sabin

Monday, March 21, 2016

Week 35: I'm Sorry, Alright!!

Goodness.  You forget to click send on your email just one week, and you get raked-over by every single family member.  Ouch...  Really feeling the love here guys.

Anyway, other than the lack of love from those who should care about me most, it was a good week ;)  Ya, Evonne's baptismal date is still on, and as long as she keeps doing as great as she is, she should be getting baptized this weekend.  We announced it in church, so it's looking good.

Also, Joe is just on fire.  He came to church yesterday, and had a great time.  Sacrament was good, and then we taught gospel principles, so we were able to keep the lesson pretty simple.  Then, we got to third hour, and I got a little worried.  The topic was the fall of Adam.  And we still hadn't taught him the plan of salvation.

Within like 3 minutes a whole ton of stuff got mentioned like "degress of glory," "war in heaven," "being intelligences in the pre-mortal existence," and I just knew these things were going to be going over his head.  I was trying like mad to translate all these concepts to him into mandarin, and I had this terrible feeling that he was going to get super confused.  However, I needn't have worried.  He totally got all of it.  It was super crazy.  He just get's things really easy.

Anyway, after church, we all went into the Relief Society room for a thing called Mix and Mingle (It's a YSA branch) and fellow-shipping just happened!  A whole bunch of people were talking to him and inviting him to things, and it was great.  After church he went with some members for a movie night/dinner, and then tomorrow he's coming to Family Home Evening with the branch, and then he's going to be meeting with us a few times and...man, he's just a cool guy.  His baptismal date right now is April 22nd, but at the rate he's going, it might even be sooner than that.

Also, I almost got emergency transfered.  I didn't though, so it's okay.  Elder Hudak (that missionary that almost joined us a few weeks ago) had to leave his area, because too many of the people there had dogs or cats, and I was going to be rotating with him.  I was going to leave for 3 weeks and then come back at transfers, which would just stink, because I'd miss Evonne's baptism, and Elder Lau's last three weeks. Anyway, after president called and told me that, he called again about 10 minutes later and said "Never mind, we've got it figured out."  So, I'm not leaving.  Yay!  However, we are pretty certain that Elder Hudak will be coming in here at the transfer, so he'll probably be my next companion.

Hadley - Man!  The Testamants is my jam!  I know that movie so well!  As missionaries there are only a few movies that we're allowed to watch.  Basically, if they have the church's stamp on them they're allowed.  So we have gotten to know that movie super well.  Also Meet the Mormons.  Also the Restoration video. And the Doctrine and Covenants videos.  I've got them memorized!  Also, thanks for clarifying that that is a "frowny crying" face.  I would have gone with the "sobbing been-dear-johned" face.  Thanks.  Also, tell mom I'M SORRY ALRIGHT!!!

Mom - Things are going well.  Yep, Evonne is still on track, and Joe and Jeffery are still moving along.  One of the hardest parts is just trying to keep faith in every single person on the street.  It's easy to lose faith when they're smoking or look like they have a rough personality, but it's important to just remember that they are all sons and daughters of God and should be loved, even when they forget to email their family one week, or something like that. Honestly, the biggest hurdle is probably just getting them to believe the basics.  For Chinese people, they usually are okay with all the commandments, but they just have a hard time with the basic belief.  The days are super short.  Gillian reminded me that I got my call like a year ago.  Ahh!  I think I'm okay as far as needing stuff from home for now, but thanks for asking.  Love you!

Ashleigh - Man, did you really say "what the goodness?"  You're such a Utahn.  Also, first date eh?  Did he have a current temple recommend. Were you home by 10:30?  Do you need to borrow my shotgun?  Man, you should totally keep Princess.  I would be totally fine with having my dogs multiply by 200% when I get home. SOOOOOOO  YAAAAA!!

Ellie - Oh my gosh, I almost didn't recognize that it was from you!  It didn't have that little purple girl emoticon at the bottom.  Also tell dad happy 50th birthday. He'll like that.  I  miss you too. How's school going?  Is it more fun than our play-set?  Do we still have gravel embedded in all the grass within a 5 foot radius of it?

Hayden - Man, aren't lacrosse practices like that just miserable?  Tracting in weather like that isn't much better :) Actually the weather was mostly good this week though.  I overheard a guy on the street say that something was beast, and I thought of you.  It seems like your trend has spread to Hamilton.

Dad - We're in a car area.  Our area is just too spread out, and Hamilton isn't a big enough city to have a good enough transit system for anyone but the downtown elders.  As far as eating goes, we're actually doing really well. Elder Lau is a good cook, and I've learned a thing or two as well.  If you have any super useful easy recipes you used on your mission or in college, I'd love to use them.  Please send them my way.  As far as pictures go, I actually went without using it for a week or two, and I forgot where I put it.  Still being located.  Yes, the baptisms are still looking good :)  Also Happy Birthday :)

As far as a spiritual thought goes, I thought I'd keep it pretty simple this week.  With Easter season coming up, and with spring approaching, we have the opportunity to think about the wonderful chance for rebirth the Lord has given us.  For those of you who haven't seen it yet, please check out the new video produced by the church at https://www.mormon.org/easter

It's a wonderful time of year, and as we reflect on our lives and our loved ones, remember what the Savior has done for us.  He has allowed us to become free from afflictions and pains and trials, and enables us to cast off any doubt and unbelief.  Through faith in his name, we can literally be made whole again.  We can be saved, and I hope that, with the people in the above video, we will all be able to say Hallelujah.

For those of you in my ward, you'll recognize this scripture.  It sits under my name on that wall of missionaries that are currently serving.  It's in Mosiah 16:7-9 and it says "And if Christ had not risen from the dead, or have broken the bands of death that the grave should have no victory and that death should have no sting, there could have been no resurrection.  But there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in christ. He is the light and life of the world, yea, a light that is endless that can never be darkened, yea, and also a life which is endless that there can be no more death."

There are a few parts in that which stick out to me, but one of my favorites is "swallowed up in Christ." That's really how it is.  The pain of the world, the sting of death, and the victory of the grave are all swallowed in the light of Christ. Enveloped.  Contained.  Restricted.  Gone.  Washed away.  There is no need to fear if we trust him and love him.  With all our hear let us serve him, and he will bless us with a joy that we cannot comprehend.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Sabin

Hamilton Zone Conference