Elder Sabin

Elder Sabin

Monday, August 3, 2015

Week 2

Letters to Mom and Dad:
(side note: the picture he describes was not attached to his email... maybe next week :))
 
 
Hey Guys!
 
Alright, favorite district quote from the week.

(one night we were talking about studying outside instead of the classroom)
Elder Harris: But we can't go out there, there's no lights
Elder Ball: Well then Elder, let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and be glorified in them!
Elder Harris: ...Wha-?
Elder Ball:  BALL ONE HARRIS ZERO!!!

It was super funny :)  Anyway, I'm glad to hear everything back home is going well :)  I think the address is 2007 but I got both packages, so I'm not sure it matters.  They'll probably get to me either way.
 
There are 10 elders and 2 sisters and our zone has 3 districts so multiply it by 3

Honestly, I can't really think of anything I really need right now, but if I think of something, I'll let you know.  Also, I don't discriminate against treats :) anything is good

A typical day is almost all studying and eating :) Seriously, we wake up, eat breakfast, have an hour of gym time, shower, Personal Study for an hour, Companion Study for an hour, Language study for an hour, then lunch, then three hours of Chinese Class, then dinner, then three more hours of class (when we teach investigators), then additional study for an hour, and then planning, then bed.  Super busy, and not a ton of variation except for Sundays and Mondays, but its been great :)

I have two favorite parts of the day.  Gym time is super fun, because I get to wear normal clothes and be active for an hour before sitting down all day, so I really appreciate that.  Spiritually though I really love teaching investigators because even though its really hard with the language, its also really gratifying.

The hardest part for me is probably staying focused :) There's a lot of really fun guys in my district, and it's easy to get distracted talking about random things.

It's kind of hard to pin down what the funniest part of the week was, but we have some very funny elders in our district, especially Elder Ball, who can just make you laugh at anything :)

Also, I tried to attach some photos today, to try and give you an idea of what everyone looks like.  In the photo labeled DSCN0358 you should see everyone in my district.  The back row (right to left) is Elder Lee, Elder Jackson (Parker), Elder Henson, and Elder Harris.  Middle row is Elder Brown (from England!), Elder Thompson, Me!!!, Sister Edwards, and Sister Roberts.  Front row is Elder Ball, Elder Smith, and my companion Elder Stowell.

Also, just so you know, I'm sending the tie journal back through you guys, so you can read it if you want.  Just make sure it gets to CJ before his farewell.

Anyway, I'm having a great time out here!  It's been super spiritual, and we've already heard talks from Steven Allen (Jeff Allen's dad), Sheri Dew, and a former 70 named Lionel Kendrick.  Also, we watched Meet the Mormons, and if you watch it, I'm 99 percent sure that the guy who helps the missionary Anthony with his suit is that same guy that helped us when we went there.  Find out for me :)

Anyway, I'll talk to you guys next week! Gotta go!
 
 
Hey Dad!
 
Things are going great, and I hope everyone at home is doing well too :) Tell Emi that I love her, and give her a treat from me :) 
 
I have not yet told Elder Stowell my opinion of soccer players, but mostly because my district has like 5 soccer players, and as manly as I am, I don't think I could take them all on :)  He hasn't snapped at me yet, so I think I'm doing pretty well, and I was also pretty lucky to get one of two other missionaries in the district with Chinese experience as my companion.  Teaching lessons has still been hard, but I can feel the language coming a little more every day :) However, morale was low last Thursday, because we got some fastrack missionaries coming in who are already fluent in Chinese, and we couldn't understand a word they were saying.  I still got a long way to go :)
 
Also, there's rumors here that Russel M. Nelson is going to speak at our devotional Tuesday night! Nothing is certain, but they're broadcasting it to all the MTCs around the world, so it's gotta be big.  Also, the Nashville Tribute band is coming to do a performance, so I'm having it pretty good so far :)

Super jealous you got to do that mountain biking trail :) We'll definitely have to go again sometime when I get back
 
I was reading this really cool article the other day, and there was a quote in it that I loved from C.S. Lewis that read "We profess to believe in Christ as we believe in the sun at noonday.  Not that we can see it, but that by it we can see everything else."  He went on to say how seeing people through the light of Christ, and looking at the potential of who they can become makes it so easy to love them :)  I definitely have gained a testimony of that as I've met people who, outside of the mission, I probably would never have associated with just for lack of common interests or hobbies.  However, now that I'm here with them spending several hours a day with them and learning their stories, its been really cool to see that everyone out there has a background.  So many of these people on the surface look like you're average guy, but they have incredible stories.  One almost didn't come because his dad is dying in the hospital, another had an entire house fall on him and was trapped for several hours, and another was legally dead for several minutes before he was brought back by a priesthood blessing.  Everyone out here is so amazing, and I'm loving my time here :)
 
-Austin